Starting A Business

Planning on starting a business, here is what you need to do...
  • It might be a good idea to call the city you are planning to operate in to see what they require. Effective July 1, 2015, business/privilege license fees have been repealed in North Carolina. The Town of Statesville and the Town of Mooresville no longer issue business/privilege licenses.
Does your business need a tax number? 
  • There are several types of tax numbers. Businesses having employees are required to obtain a Federal Employer Identification number along with a North Carolina withholding tax number obtainable through the Secretary of State. According to Business Link North Carolina, "taxation for small businesses may be simple or complex, depending on the size and business structure. Specific tax liability for each type of business is different and you should consult your attorney and accountant regarding comprehensive tax planning for your business."
  • If you need to apply for a Federal ID number, you can apply by filing an SS-4 form with the Internal Revenue Service. The Register of Deeds Office is not responsible for the issuance of your Tax Identification number, or your knowing if your business requires a Federal ID Number.
How do you register your business name? 
  • The type of business structure determines where your business name (assumed name) should be registered. Assumed Name Certificates, or DBA's (Doing Business As), for sole proprietorships and partnerships must be filed with the Register of Deeds in the county the business is planning to operate.  These forms are available in our office, and also available underneath the Forms and Applications tab at the top of this webpage.  Corporations/LLCs are required to register their name with the North Carolina Secretary of State Corporations division. 
Is the name of your business available?
  • Unfortunately, the Register of Deeds Office cannot assist you in finding out whether or not your business name has been recorded in Iredell County. Name availability in Iredell County can be researched through our E-Search website, but the search results fall on the responsibility of the business owner. For determining Corporation or LLC name availability contact the North Carolina Secretary of State Corporations Division (919-807-2039), or perform you own corporate name search by visiting their homepage.